Made with sloe berries that have been hand foraged from colonial hedges in Northern Tasmania, this Sloe Paste is an ethical by-product of McHenry’s Sloe Gin.
Once they have been hand picked, the sloe berries are taken to cold storage where they are frozen. By freezing the berries, the skin becomes perforated and allows the flavours and colours to be released. The sloe berries are then steeped in McHenry’s London Dry Gin for 12 months. At the end of the 12 months, the beautiful Sloe Gin is filtered off and the berries are left. Rather than discarding them they are then given to Shayne and his team at Lean-To Kitchen, where they are combined with a range of botanicals to produce the Sloe Paste.
McHenry’s Sloe Paste can be used:
- As a perfect addition to a cheese board or platter
- Ideal with smoked foods (particularly quail and chicken)
- Can be used for basting meats such as lamb or wallaby
- Glaze for your Christmas ham
- Delicious smeared on the plate before serving lamb, pork or venison
- Great in pastries and desserts
- Can be made into a jus or a sauce
- Add a dash of soda water for a refreshing, non-alcoholic drink